Aw Nuts!

Not one of my best days today.

After the weekend I was happy enough. We came back from Radium yesterday and everything seemed fine – the weather was nice, I slept well overnight. Of course, the fact that Jay put no food in my house overnight should have been a red flag – after all, I’ve never had to go the whole night without a snack before.

This morning Jay and Em were both up surprisingly early. Out I went for my ablutions, finishing with a satisfying ten-one hundred. That was fine – nothing too unusual there. We got the truck out (the driveway is now fixed) and we hit the highway before the Sun was really up.

All of this would have been okay, except there was something different. Both Jay and Em seemed overly apologetic for some reason. Jay pointed to the sunrise, Em talked about good times – I really started to wonder what was going on.

And I was right to.

We stopped at a supermarket and I was tasked with peeps and poops on a grassy verge. This was just half an hour after we left the house! That’s when I started to smell a rat, and sure enough, with my chores dutifully done we went to the next stop.

I know that smell. Disinfectant. Window cleaner with ammonia. Kibble. Paperwork. Fear. All combined into a sickly-sweet odour that still lives in my memory from my first, youthful visits to the vet’s office.

The rat smell thickened. Jay and Em handed in some forms full of information, then they met in one of the little rooms off to the side with a nice young lady who was answering a whole bunch of questions. I was in the middle, looking up at them all. Though nervous, I smiled a lot – for some reason I thought that would help. The young lady did something unmentionably rude with my popo – I think they called it checking my temperature – and she did it with something that was very cold. I hit a high C, then sighed with relief when the cold thing was removed again. All normal there; “So can we go home now?”

Shortly after that it was goodbye! The girl took me quickly back to a bright little room with cold metal tables. A few moments later they were sticking needles in my shank, sucking some red stuff out, and then all of a sudden I was falling asleep!

When I woke up I was sore everywhere – in my mouth, my right ear, behind my neck, and between my legs. I couldn’t figure it out, but anyway I was really dizzy so I thought it would be best to just go to sleep and think about it later.

Something tells me that when I do finally put this day to consideration I’m not going to like what I come up with.

Jay and Em are going to have some serious ‘splainin‘ to do.


Gampa and Gate Gampa are worried about me.


About James McDonall

I believe in laughing, especially at yourself, and as often possible. I believe in "live and let live". I believe that communication is the foundation of all our solutions. I believe that listening is more important than speaking, and that speaking should serve the cause of listening. If you like my writing, I'm available for hire. Please send me an Email to discuss your project. View all posts by James McDonall

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: